We are no longer accepting applications for this award. If your advisor has not sent your recommendation letter yet, they can email it to TravelAwardRT@GWIS.ORG by 5pm, March 1, 2019 (Friday). Thank you for your interest and good luck!
Please read the following instructions for each of the questions :
Section 1: Personal Information
- Please enter your institutional email
- Please enter your legal First Name as indicated on your academic records
- Please enter your legal Last Name as indicated on your academic records
- Please indicate if you are willing to share half the award amount. Answering yes does not mean the award is halved – this is only in case there are two very competitive applicants and reviewers declare a tie. The answer to this question does not have a bearing on how your application is assessed.
- Please indicate your current academic position.
- Please select the discipline that best fits your application. The categories include the following:
- Physical Sciences: Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Earth Science
- Life Sciences: Biological sciences
- Social Sciences: Includes fields such as sociology and psychology
- Medicine: Includes biomedical research
- Applied Sciences: Engineering, Environmental Sciences
- Please indicate your expected graduation date or the date when you anticipate completing your current academic position.
- Please ensure that this is an institution within the state of North Carolina. This award is only for students within the state of North Carolina.
- Please indicate the department that your degree or position is a part of.
- Please indicate the name of your advisor, and separate with commas in case of multiple names.
- Please upload a letter of recommendation from your academic advisor in PDF format (1 page length). In case your advisor would rather email the letter of recommendation, please ask her/him to email it to: TravelAwardRT@GWIS.ORG
- Please upload a CV in PDF FORMAT ONLY. Page limit of 2 pages, please do not use an academic CV. DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME OR ANY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION IN THE CV. ANY CV WITH IDENTIFYING INFORMATION WILL DISQUALIFY THE APPLICATION.
Section 2: Conference Information
- Please enter the name of the conference that you would be attending.
In case the conference has not opened up its registrations yet, please write the name of the conference regardless. If you are not ultimately selected for the conference but do win this travel award, we will reimburse you for a different conference that you can apply and get selected to, within the 1 year time frame from when the award is first given to you.
- Please enter the location where the conference would be held. The location must be within the United States of America. In case the location has not been declared, please enter a tentative location or write “Undeclared” if you are unable to find any location information.
- Please indicate tentative conference dates, in case these dates have not yet been declared.
- Please enter date in MM/DD/YYYY – MM/DD/YYYY format. Enter tentative dates in case they have not been declared yet.
- Please enter date in MM/DD/YYYY format. Enter tentative date for registration in case these have not been declared yet.
- Please enter if this is your first time presenting at that particular conference. First time presenters will be given consideration during review, however this does not disqualify you from the award if you have presented at the same one previously as well.
- Please describe in 250 words or less how attending this conference would help further your career as well as your research work.
- The abstract should be written such that someone outside of your area of expertise can understand it. You should include enough details to explain the key insight of your work. The abstract should also include the full title and the complete list of all contributing authors, in the order of decreasing contribution to the work. You should have no more than 500 words. PDF FORMAT ONLY.
- Please indicate your specific contribution to the research work being presented, in 250 words or less.
Section 3: Broader Impact
- Please list any volunteer activities, chapters, or organizations that you have been a part of. Please list the time period that you have served at these organizations/activities. Up to 250 words.
- Please indicate the personal financial need that you may have for winning this travel award. Up to 250 words.
- Please describe the activities that you may have carried out specifically to further STEM outreach among underrepresented communities around you. Up to 250 words.
Section 4: GWIS Membership Information
- Please indicate whether you are a current, dues-paying member of Graduate Women in Science (GWIS) and/or the local chapter Graduate Women in Science – Research Triangle Chapter (GWIS – RT). To become a member and to know more about membership, please click here. Other factors being equal, preference will be given to active members of the Research Triangle, NC chapter of Graduate Women in Science.